After Rome and Sanya, Jakarta has become the third venue to adjourn its Formula E race due to the global coronavirus outbreak.
The inaugural event in Indonesia’s capital was scheduled to take place on June 6, roughly three months from today.
Following Jakarta’s postponement, the preceding May 3 race planned in Seoul, South Korea must now be considered under threat, with the potential of wreaking more havoc on FE’s 2019/20 season.
Furthermore, the April 18 Paris E-Prix could also be put on the back burner after France’s decision to defer the Le Mans 24 Hours motorbike endurance event from April 18-19 to early September.
FE issued the following statement on Jakarta:
“As instructed by the governor of Jakarta Anies Baswedan – and in consultation together with Formula E, the FIA, Ikatan Motor Indonesia (IMI) and the organising committee of the Jakarta E-Prix (OC) – it will no longer be possible to race in Jakarta on the scheduled date of June 6, 2020.
“Due to the outbreak of COVID-19 and the escalating number of cases in Indonesia and Jakarta, the decision has been taken as the most responsible course of action, to protect the health and safety of championship participants, staff and spectators.
“We will continue to monitor the situation closely with the relevant authorities and the organising committee of the Jakarta E-Prix, in order to assess the possibilities of rescheduling the race at a later date.”
Formula E is still in the process of re-scheduling its Italian and Chinese rounds, but so far no definite replacement dates or venues have been decided.
FE co-founder Alberto Longo revealed that the all-electric series, which typically races on street circuits, could stage replacement races on permanent tracks as part of its contingency plans.
“With the growing number of COVID-19 cases in countries where Formula E currently has events scheduled to be held, we are evaluating contingency plans to lessen the potential impact of coronavirus and maintain the highest possible number of races on the calendar for season six,” said Longo.
“It is a fluid situation, developing on a daily basis and we remain realistic and flexible in our approach to alternative options, which will be communicated in due course.
“These include adding double-headers to existing events, using permanent facilities and racing behind closed doors if necessary and advised to do so by local authorities in any given location.”