Formula 1’s hopes of bringing Grand Prix racing to Miami were revived today when commissioners from Miami-Dade County backed a recent Mayoral veto that opposed a ban on racing on the streets of Miami Gardens.
The 7-5 decision puts to rest, at least in the short term, a raging debate between representatives and residents of Miami Gardens, who oppose the Miami GP project, and the event’s promoter, Miami Dolphins owner Stephen Ross.
The venue for the planned race takes place in the vicinity of the Dolphins’ Hard Rock Stadium and would use part of Miami Gardens’ public roads.
On Twitter, Mayor Carlos Gimenez said that sustaining his veto would buy organisers more time to work out their differences with opposing parties.
“We need more time to work out a compromise with the Miami Dolphins, the Miami Gardens community and racing fans that’s a win-win for everyone to bring Formula 1 to our county,” Gimenez wrote.
“That’s why I’m happy that the Miami-Dade Board of County Commissioners sustained my veto. This allows us to work toward a solution.
“F1 is a huge international event,” he added. “Like the Super Bowl, it puts Miami-Dade on the world stage.
“We need to continue to study the issues raised and get the correct information, instead of just killing this idea outright.
“Let me be clear, if the veto had been overridden today then the resolution that says street racing is prohibited as currently configured in Miami Gardens would’ve been upheld. I support all parties coming to a solution that brings F1 racing to Miami-Dade.
“The F1 race isn’t until 2021. Sustaining my veto buys three to six months so that the parties involved can continue to work toward a solution for Miami Gardens, Stephen Ross and the Miami Dolphins, as well as racing fans.
“I’ve had three meetings so far with Miami Gardens residents about F1. I’ve met with Commissioner Jordan, as well as Miami Dolphins and racing executives. It was productive.
“The Dolphins agreed to respond within two weeks on community concerns and how to mitigate potential issues.”
Let me be clear, if the veto had been overridden today then the resolution that says street racing is prohibited as currently configured in #MiamiGardens would’ve been upheld. I support all parties coming to a solution that brings Formula 1 racing to Miami-Dade. @MiamiDadeBCC pic.twitter.com/wTgY5srhRt
— Mayor Carlos A. Gimenez (@MayorGimenez) November 19, 2019
Hard Rock Stadium CEO and vice chairman Tom Garfinkel committed to addressing the concerns of Miami Gardens’ residents.
“Along with Miami Dolphins, we are encouraged the County Commission sustained the Mayor’s Veto,” he said.
“As Miami Dolphins has done for all its events at Hard Rock Stadium, and as we have done in every city that hosts a race, we will continue to work with the Mayor and the community to make a Formula 1 Miami Grand Prix a huge success for all of Miami-Dade County; including the residents of Miami Gardens.
“We will work very hard to address community concerns in a meaningful way, mitigate any inconveniences or disruptions to local residents, and create an event we can all be proud of.”